German National Databases
- BMS online - Bibliography of Music Literature online
- Printed Maps before 1850 - IKAR
- Bibliography of books printed in German speaking countries from 1600 to 1700 - VD17
- IDZ - Index Deutschsprachiger Zeitschriften 1750-1815
The Bibliographie des Musikschrifttums online (Bibliography of Music Literature on-line) is an international and interactive bibliography of literature on music. This bibliographic reference tool is edited by the » Staatliches Institut für Musikforschung Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Berlin, and may be used free of charge. It is the continuation of the printed volumes which stop with the report year 1988. Currently, BMS online has more than 277,000 records of literature on music. BMS is supplemented by the OLC-SSG Musicology, which incorporates the contents of some 150 music journals from 1993 onward. On ViFaMusik, the German subject gateway for music research, you can find a wealth of additional resources.
The GBV-digiCULT is an online research catalogue for digital cultural heritage.
Currently it covers the holdings of approximately 29,500 records of digital objects from about 45 museums of the of the federal-states Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg. Additionally it includes 2.000 records of digital objects from the of the archaeological institute of the University of Göttingen and approximately 3,000 records of digital objects from about 12 museums of the of the federal-state Saarland.
The holdings of the digital objects are linked to the corresponding source in the original portal, so that this information is available too.
GBV-digiCULT database is constantly expanding by the digital cultural heritage of further institutions.
Altkartendatenbank - Database of old maps - Base de données de vieilles cartes
The database contains printed thematic and topographical maps, globes and atlases before year of publication 1850 inclusive, as well as facsimiles of these maps and other reprints which are part of the holdings of the participating libraries.
Exceptions are map series which were published before and after 1850.
At the end of the year 2012 the database of old maps contained bibliographical entries of approximately 262,000 map titles with about 276,000 holdings. 5,000 maps are digitized.
Further information you find here:
The bibliographic project, Bibliography of Books Printed in the German Speaking Countries from 1601 to 1700 (VD17), sets out to establish a German National Bibliography of 17th-century imprints. All German titles and all titles which are printed or published in the former German-speaking countries will be catalogued. Broadsheets are listed, musica practica (notations) and maps are excluded.
As the main libraries responsible for the project the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Berlin State Library), the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek München (Bavarian State Library Munich) and the Herzog August Bibliothek Wolfenbüttel (Duke August Library Wolfenbüttel) have guaranteed the continuation of the database since funding by the DFG (German Research Society) expired in 2007.
The cataloguing is done book-in-hand. In order to improve bibliographic information and facilitate the identification of different editions cataloguing records are linked to digitized images of keypages, when possible they are linked to completely digitized books.
VD 17 will be continuously enlarged and made more complete by contributions from associated libraries. Further institutions are invited to participate in the project.
Please do not hesitate to contact if you want to suggest bibliographic corrections or if you have any additional questions concerning VD17-cataloguing rules.
Further information you find here:
The Leibniz bibliography is the central instrument of research and bibliographic verification of literature about Leibniz. With the claim to completeness, it is compiled and maintained at the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Library.
The Leibniz Bibliography offers:
- a continuously updated database of more than 25.000 titles from three centuries of worldwide Leibniz research,recorded titles of monographs, articles in journals and collected works (congress reports, commemorative publications etc.), reviews, comprehensive newspaper articles and much more,
- all recorded titles of the printed Leibniz bibliographies*,
- titles in systematic form and with keywords, many with content outlines, summaries or excerpts,
- a range of research facilities using search forms and classification,
- numerous links between data records,
- options for ordering online.
With a few exceptions, all the references included in the Leibniz Bibliography are available in the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Library. Additionally, the references given are linked with entries in the common catalogue of the north German library cooperation 'Gemeinsamer Bibliotheksverbund' (GBV) and can be ordered through local or inter-library loan.
* Leibniz-Bibliographie. Bd. 1: Die Literatur über Leibniz bis 1980. Begr. von Kurt Müller, hrsg. von Albert Heinekamp. 2. Aufl. Frankfurt a. M. 1984.
* Leibniz-Bibliographie. Bd. 2: Die Literatur über Leibniz 1981-1990. Begr. von Kurt Müller, hrsg. von Albert Heinekamp. Frankfurt a. M. 1996.
The Index of German Journals (IDZ) contains 100.000 records of articles of 195 journals published 1750 - 1815. These articles are connected with an Online-request-system and can be ordered by Inter Library Loan (ILL).